Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Michael Cho Makes me Drool...

...over his artwork, of course! Dang this guy's great.


I met Michael at the Toronto Comicon... or rather, after the comicon at dinner. He gave me some great tips for colourizing linework in photoshop. Anyway, his work is gorgeous! Here's a few from his blog, which I suggest you check out at http://chodrawings.blogspot.com/.


Ain't it sweet! Wow! Thanks for the inspiration, Michael! From the looks of these, they're old school analog art... on real paper with real inks. Designing like this for two colours is a neat trick that I'd really like to learn. Somehow it seems way harder than full colour. Michael makes it so the two colours are interdependent. The image would be incomplete without one or the other. Takes more planning, I would think. I make my drawings as black and white images and then the colours are usually an afterthought. Minimizes the amount of thinking I have to do, which is usually a good strategy for me. ;)

I think it's like black and white photography, which removes the distraction of piles of colours all over the place and lets you pay more attention to the character of the subject... and the composition becomes more apparent. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?